Loading…
Ormax Media Pvt. Ltd.

Just short of 500 Million

Just short of 500 Million

Just short of 500 Million

The latest edition of The Ormax OTT Audience Report sizes India's digital video universe at 481.1 Million users, a modest 13.5% growth vis-a-vis 2022
Published on November 06, 2023   •   4 mins read
Share this Insight

By Our Insights Desk

Summary
  • India’s OTT audience universe (defined as number of people who have watched online videos at least once in the last one month) is estimated at 481.1 Million in 2023, a growth of 13.5% over 2022
  • While in double digits, the growth rate is lower than the previous year, when the universe grew at 20.0% from 2021 to 2022, aided by the boost provided by the pandemic and the lockdowns
  • 34% of India’s estimated 2023 population is consuming online video content. The full report highlights how this growth has been driven by NCCS CDE, small towns and rural India
  • The report divides the 481.1 Million universe into five segments, based on free vs. paid usage, and profiles these segments demographically and geographically
  • The SVOD (B2C) segment averages at 2.8 subscriptions per user, leading to a total of 101.8 Million direct-to-consumer paid subscriptions in India

We started publishing The Ormax OTT Audience Report from 2021. The annual report is our endeavour to size the growing Indian OTT (digital video) market using primary research, than rely purely on secondary data, proxy variables (like Internet and smartphone penetration) and industry estimates.

The third edition, titled The Ormax OTT Audience Report: 2023, is based on data collected from 12,000 respondents across India in Jul-Sep 2023, is now out, and available for subscription (see details at the end of this article). As per the report, India's OTT audience universe, defined as those who have watched digital videos at least once in the last one month, is now at 481.1 Million (or 48.11 Crore) people. The growth from 2022 to 2023 is in double digits at 13.5%, but much lower than the growth from 2021 to 2022, which stood at a healthy 20.0%. India's OTT penetration now stands at 34% of the country's population, up from 30% last year.

The full report highlights how the growth this year has been driven by NCCS CDE, small towns and rural India, while NCCS AB and metros, as well as some of the mini metros, are beginning to either reach saturation, or slowing down considerably, witnessing single-digit growth in percentage terms.

The report divides the 481.1 Million universe into five segments, defined in the chart below, based on free vs. paid usage.

OTT1.png

The size of the five segments can be seen in the chart below. SVOD audiences, who have access to paid content, comprise of 153.0 Million people, i.e., 31.8% of India's OTT universe. The remaining 68.2% (328.1 Mn) are accessing only free content, and a sizeable section out of these are watching videos only on YouTube and social media apps.

OTT2.png

The SVOD (B2C) segment averages at 2.8 subscriptions per user, leading to a total of 101.8 Million direct-to-consumer paid subscriptions in India.

To know more about the report, read the details here.

Read the press coverage of the report in Mint, afaqs!, and Financial Express.

To subscribe to The Ormax OTT Audience (Sizing) Report: 2023 please drop in an email to [email protected], and we will connect with you soon.

Streaming OTT Ormax Products Industry Reports Digital
Share this Insight

Related Insights

Synopsis Testing: Early content selection decisions using audience feedback

Synopsis Testing: Early content selection decisions using audience feedback

This product update explains the three stages of Content Testing in Ormax Media's work, i.e., Synopsis, Screenplay & Video, and the underlying benefits of testing at the synopsis stage in particular

Pride or Prejudice?

Pride or Prejudice?

On the occasion of Pride Month 2024, this analysis examines the extent and nature of LGBTQIA+ representation in top-rated streaming content in India over the last six years

Nepotism: Bollywood's new marketing challenge?

Nepotism: Bollywood's new marketing challenge?

A section of our latest report, The Bollywood Image Report 2024, captures perceptions regarding nepotism in Bollywood among regular Hindi film audience, and identifies a new marketing challenge

Subscribe to stay updated with our latest insights Ormax Media Pvt. Ltd.

Subscribe to stay updated with our latest insights

Ormax Media Pvt. Ltd. Privacy Policy

We use cookies to improve your experience on this site. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy